Ruger Gunsite Scout

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Dangermouse

Ruger Gunsite Scout

#1 Post by Dangermouse »

I just came across this on another "firearms news Blog site"

http://www.ammoland.com/2010/12/29/ruge ... out-rifle/

At first glance you can see a Little Jungle Carbine and possibly a little Mini 14.

As someone who has looked at both those firearms for practical / short distance fun guns, I wonder if this will deliver where the other two failed. That being the jungle carbine was a bit of a kicker and the Mini 14 was simply inaccurate.

Sad to see the cost is so high, I guess that we can convert the $800 to £800 and add a few more. It would be interesting to see a side by side comparison with a Remington 700 Short barrel "Tactical"

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

I am quite a fan of the 'Scout' model rifles since I got my hands on a Steyr Scout 'Elite' for afew minutes. Downside is cost so this could well fill a gap.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#3 Post by dromia »

The only thing I dislike about the Scout concept is that its supposed to be your only rifle. :shock:

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Christel
Site Admin

#4 Post by Christel »

I dislike the image the man had who invented it which is good enough reason for me not to have one.
Ovenpaa

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

christel wrote:I dislike the image the man had who invented it which is good enough reason for me not to have one.
Please explain.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Christel
Site Admin

#6 Post by Christel »

Well....Jeff Cooper had this survival out in the mountain gung ho thing going on and Dromia is spot on when he says it was expected to be the only rifle one owned.

Sorta...."you will never need another rifle when the zombies attack" slogan.
25Pdr
Past Supporter

#7 Post by 25Pdr »

Dangermouse wrote:I just came across this on another "firearms news Blog site"

http://www.ammoland.com/2010/12/29/ruge ... out-rifle/

At first glance you can see a Little Jungle Carbine and possibly a little Mini 14.

As someone who has looked at both those firearms for practical / short distance fun guns, I wonder if this will deliver where the other two failed. That being the jungle carbine was a bit of a kicker and the Mini 14 was simply inaccurate.

Sad to see the cost is so high, I guess that we can convert the $800 to £800 and add a few more. It would be interesting to see a side by side comparison with a Remington 700 Short barrel "Tactical"

DM
Must admit I like carbines and that one looks very desirable. For a practical/short distance fun gun though I can highly recommend the CZ 527 Carbine. I bought one in 223 about three year ago for £400 new, although they seem to have got a bit more expensive recently.

It is very well made and comes with a set trigger, also available in 7.62/39.

Sandgroper

#8 Post by Sandgroper »

I agree with 25Pdr - I like carbines. :D

The Ruger looks pretty good, but I can't see myself swapping my Ishapore for one.
It looks like the Ruger will take M14 mags which is a plus point. Now if my Ishapore was able to take SLR mags, I would be a very happy camper.

Regarding Jeff Cooper's ideas on Scout rifles - I think that is where the Ruger falls down. Cooper called for a forward mounted scope (if you where going to have a scope) to aid in the quick reloading of the rifle via charger/stripper clips. The Ruger doesn't have a charger bridge, so precludes the use of charger/stripper clips and in any case has detachable magazine, so doesn't need a scout scope.

As much as I like carbines and scout rifles in particular, the forward mounted scope is not to everybodies tastes and has a limited field of view and magnification. I think the Ruger would be a better rifle with a conventionally mount scope, mind you, mention a Scout Rifle and something like the Ruger comes to mind (reason 1). Also given that recoil and kick can be a bit brisk, Ruger may have had been concerned about law suits and kept the scope forward (reason 2).
Well....Jeff Cooper had this survival out in the mountain gung ho thing going on and Dromia is spot on when he says it was expected to be the only rifle one owned.

Sorta...."you will never need another rifle when the zombies attack" slogan.
What's wrong with that - you make it sound like a bad thing! BTW the Ishapore is my zombie rifle. :lol:

To finish off with a quote from Jeff Copper.
"Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons.
The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized.
The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Christel
Site Admin

#9 Post by Christel »

Sandgroper,

Common knowledge that one needs a pump action for zombies...Mr Mossberg the finest.

:D :D :D
Sandgroper

#10 Post by Sandgroper »

christel wrote:Sandgroper,

Common knowledge that one needs a pump action for zombies...Mr Mossberg the finest.

:D :D :D
OK a pump action is handy (I'll have a Winchester 1300/Defender), but I'd rather not have have them within shotgun range. :o

Nice hijack! :lol: :lol: :lol:
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.