Ruger Gunsite Scout

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Sandgroper
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout

#41 Post by Sandgroper »

It gets a pretty good write up in the latest Shooting Sports.
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Sandgroper

#42 Post by Sandgroper »

dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#43 Post by dromia »

Not in any way meaning to comment on the quality of the rifle but when have any of our current gun rags had a bad review about a product, they are all about advertising not good journalism and objective assessments.

Now Guns Review used to do just that, review guns. Thats why it was worth a read and worth paying for.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Dangermouse

#44 Post by Dangermouse »

Dromia,

Fair point, thankfully with the Internet it is not too difficult to conduct further research from actual average Joe end users and you get a better view, but still bearing in mind that often people are quicker to highlight a bad point than a good point.

From the pictures on GT, I would be concerned about diameter of the barrel at the muzzle and would like to see some more accuracy reports.

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#45 Post by Sim G »

My local shop will do it for £1070.......

Accuracy wise, it seems some internet reviews give it an inch to an inch and a half at 100, for three rounds. Funny thing is, this sort of accuracy is regarded as only acceptable today. 20 years ago, that was target/match grade!!!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Ovenpaa

#46 Post by Ovenpaa »

Given the type of rifle 1-1.5MOA is certainly acceptable. At GBP1050 it is worth a look however I would be more inclined to build my own.

Parker Hale anyone?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Dangermouse

#47 Post by Dangermouse »

A New Rem 700 SPS "Tactical" with bottom metal added would probably be done cheaper and most will do at least 1moa out of the box.

Interesting re acceptable accuracy standards of today. It is my understanding that we are likely to see that Mc Queen comp shot more often at 300 yards due to the amount of people scoring a max possible at 200. If the V bull is still 1 Inch across, a rifle with better than half MOA will be needed to be competitive.

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
the running man

#48 Post by the running man »

im personally in love with this rifle and am saving for it. it looks like a combat rifle to be fair and im not expecting rpa or ai performance!!
Always judge a person by how they treat someone that is of no use to them......
Dangermouse

#49 Post by Dangermouse »

I was seriously thinking about a Tikka T3 Tactical a fortnight back, I got to hold one last week at the Police Comp and was surprised at how small it was in my hands and how small the stock was. It was a reminder to me not to order any rifle until I have had a play with it first, what lands at your RFD's door may be different to what you expect.

DM
Sandgroper

#50 Post by Sandgroper »

Dangermouse wrote:Dromia,

Fair point, thankfully with the Internet it is not too difficult to conduct further research from actual average Joe end users and you get a better view, but still bearing in mind that often people are quicker to highlight a bad point than a good point.

From the pictures on GT, I would be concerned about diameter of the barrel at the muzzle and would like to see some more accuracy reports.

DM
From Shooting Sports
...Surprisingly Cooper's concept was not as widely accepted as we might think. Though well supported, pherhaps more thought it a waste of time or "the solution to a problem that does not exist." So what place does the Scout have in the UK, as it has everything yet nothing going for it - short barrel = potentially less speed/energy and increased recoil, iron sights well would you bother, likewise the Scout Scope?..

The barrel is a light H-Bar type and steps down from the re-enforce to a medium/heavy section in to forend, which reduces again to a medium tube.
Data from the Shooting Sports review

The best group (100m rested with 2.5-10x32 Nightforce NXS) went to Hornady TAP FPD 168gn @0.5 inch, worst Remington 180 gn Express 1.5 inch. Most ammunition tested was between 0.75 and 1 inch. It seemed to prefer ammunition under 168 gn generally.

Is it worth it? Not for me, I have my scout rifle and I'm not looking to change especially as it shoots well enough for me and cost no more than about £400 all up. :good: