S1 to S5.8

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

S1 to S5.8

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

Seeing as we possibly have a S5.8 Firearm coming up for sale on the forum I thought I would ask my FEO how ones goes about getting such a thing on your FAC or not as the case might be and as the rifle is currently S1 he was not sure....

So can anyone tell me how such a transaction works? The scenario is someone has a rifle that is listed as S1 however it was listed as a S5.8 (Obsolete calibre) previously. Now someone wants to buy it but keep it as a S5.8 only should the firearm be taken off the owners FAC by his local FEO first or can it be sold as S5.8 and the FEO be told even tho is was S1..

Arghhh confusing isnt it.

Anyone?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Tower75

Re: S1 to S5.8

#2 Post by Tower75 »

Just rang and spoke to my Firearms Licencing Office, they confirm that a S58 firearm, which is listed as Section 1, can simply be sold to any persons as a Section 58 firearm. The seller, will then just need to do the standard of writing to the police to tell them.

The buyer doesn't need to do anything
Wait, so I can own a .55 calibre Boys anti-tank rifle, but not a .22 pistol?
Dave 101

#3 Post by Dave 101 »

Heres a load of blurb not sure if it addresses your problem though .

Dave

http://www.david-squires.org.uk/Antiques.htm
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

So it does not even need to be entered onto the buyers FAC?

EDIT - Thanks Dave I will have a read now.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Tower75

#5 Post by Tower75 »

ovenpaa wrote:So it does not even need to be entered onto the buyers FAC?

EDIT - Thanks Dave I will have a read now.
Nope, as Section 58 firearms are not technically "firearms" in the eyes of the law. They only get recognition as "firearms" when they're moved to S1 or S2 - crazy I know. Took me ages to believe it.

I have a magazine-fed, bolt-action firearm sitting in the corner of my living room, it's a S58 firearm, so I can do what I want with it. But I have 3 magazine-fed, bolt-action firearms that have to be locked in the safe because they're all S1 :G Madness.

Buyers of S58 do not need to inform anybody or write it anywhere. If you purchased a S58 firearm, but wanted to shoot it, then you would need to have an allowance and write it onto your S1 or S2 and notify the police.
Wait, so I can own a .55 calibre Boys anti-tank rifle, but not a .22 pistol?
bnz41
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#6 Post by bnz41 »

Hi,

We have a .310 cadet which when bought was S58, we wanted to shoot it so applied for a slot on our certificates to be able to, so now section 1. I was told by the dealer/FLO if you ever want to sell it you can sell as a S58 without a problem, if the new buyer wants to use it then has to go on a FAC section 1..