Identify This Revolver

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
25Pdr
Past Supporter

Identify This Revolver

#1 Post by 25Pdr »

Spotted this Revolver on display at Duart Castle, Isle of Mull. Sorry about quality, it was unlit.

It was labeled as a Webley Revolver, the only markings I could make out were 450/455. It appears to be a solid frame with a side loading gate, the barrel and ejector rod look like it came off a Colt Single Action.

Anyone seen one like it??

dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Identify This Revolver

#2 Post by dromia »

Need to get my books out but from a cursory glance at the poor picture it looks like an Adams or Beaumont Adams frame, Webley cylinder and colt barrel????

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
25Pdr
Past Supporter

#3 Post by 25Pdr »

dromia wrote:Need to get my books out but from a cursory glance at the poor picture it looks like an Adams or Beaumont Adams frame, Webley cylinder and colt barrel????
That's roughly what I thought, it looks like somebody made it from a box of spares. :?:

Here's another photo, had to use a torch for illumination, it was very dark and flash bounced off the glass.

Tower75

#4 Post by Tower75 »

It's a Webley RIC revolver - or at least it looks a lot like one.

EDIT: However, thinking about it now, the RIC didn't have the sping ejector - they had a pull-out-and-swing type.

Maybe the ejector is a private add-on?
Wait, so I can own a .55 calibre Boys anti-tank rifle, but not a .22 pistol?
Sim G
Past Supporter

#5 Post by Sim G »

Bloody hell! That is an extremely rare Army Express, which Webley based on the Tranter 1878! It was the fore-runner of the New Model Army Express No5, which was developed to compete with Colt's 1878 double action revolver. Most of the no5's were sent to South Africa.

I sincerley hope that hasn't been deactivated........
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
25Pdr
Past Supporter

#6 Post by 25Pdr »

Sim G wrote:Bloody hell! That is an extremely rare Army Express, which Webley based on the Tranter 1878! It was the fore-runner of the New Model Army Express No5, which was developed to compete with Colt's 1878 double action revolver. Most of the no5's were sent to South Africa.

I sincerley hope that hasn't been deactivated........
Thanks a lot for that info Sim.. :good:

Had a look down the cylinder and it didn't appear to be a deact. Although it is similar to the following photo, the barrel was round with a blade foresight, like a Colt Single Action and it was a deep blue unlike the rest of the gun. Rare indeed.

From....
http://www.webleyandscott.com/content/H ... 147c112e40

The Webely Army Express Model 1878 is one of the most handsome pistols Webley ever manufactured. It was a solid-frame weapon, however, and it entered the scene just as the British military was shifting its attention to break-open, automatic-ejecting designs. A few saw service in South Africa. Webley manufactured several versions of the Army Express, but the typical Model 1878 was a double-action, six-shooter chambered for .450/.455 cartridges. A spring-activated ejector rod was mounted on the right of the 6-inch octagon shaped barrel, and a loading gate was hinged on the right side of the frame. Grips of earlier pistols were of one-piece walnut and of a rather square profile, whereas later pistols, or New Expresses, were fitted with two-piece bird's-head grips. Finishes were blue, and a lanyard ring was fitted to the butt of both models. Although the Army Express failed to attract a British contract, Webley continued to develop more suitable designs.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#7 Post by Sim G »

Nice to see the memory isn't that bad after all! And, it looks hopefully that it hasn't been deactivated!

I can understand deactivation to a certain degree, but I've seen far too many decent guns, and some very collectible and still S.1, "killed" that way. But nothing like the horror story of about 10 years ago at Phoenix.......!!

A "dealer" there had deactivated a number of genuine B/P revolvers. Mainly Remingtons and a couple of Colt's. They would have fallen under S.58 anyway and he was charging half what an "unfettled" one would be worth....... Then I saw something that made my heart sink, a Colt Bisley. Only about 30% finish bt still very tight action wise. He muttered something along the lines of "At least you can still have it deactivated......."

The bloke was an idiot! He'd gone and deactivated an 1890 vintage Bisley in .32-44!!! He reckoned his 1500 quid price tag was worth it as it was so rare. So I let the smug illigitimate know it was worth nothing because he'd had it butchered, but left alone, it was still off tcket and worth 10 times what he was asking, in US dollars.......... they only made 20 in that caliber!

Complicated, draconian firearms legislation which isn't understood and the need to make a fast pound has probably lost us countless treasures....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Porcupine

#8 Post by Porcupine »

A Trant version:

25Pdr
Past Supporter

#9 Post by 25Pdr »

Hey! Thanks a lot for these excellent photos Porcupine. :good:

I love these old adverts for guns. Although less than a fiver for a pistol seems a bargain, we have to remember that most workers in those days earned around £75 per year.

Wage rates of the past.