Mercury for removing lead fouling

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Mercury for removing lead fouling

#11 Post by dromia »

Mercury used to be recommended as a treatment for club root in the garden.

In our new world of harmless products safe means not fit for purpose.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#12 Post by WelshShooter »

1066 wrote:Surely these substances need to be used with respect and common sense, not demonised.
Dentistry fillings were, up until recently, 50% mercury.

Trying to legislate to make things idiot proof has lead to oven cleaner that won't clean ovens, weed killer that won't kill weeds etc. Industrial strength products are often available but not available to ordinary folk who just can't be trusted.

Lead free solder is absolute rubbish to use, how long before "the government" decide that casting lead is "dangerous"
+1. The amount of times I've used a product which has been "weakened" over time by removing "dangerous" chemicals due to misuse has been frustrating. They try to make the product safer for dimwits whilst reducing the effectiveness of the actual product. Makes no sense...
Nelly2014
Home club or Range: WNSC, UKPSA, SDC, MYOB

#13 Post by Nelly2014 »

Don't eat fish, full of mercury apparently.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#14 Post by Blackstuff »

When I was at school a massive mercury thermometer was dropped and a lot of mercury was released. It was eventually corralled into a plastic box and the teacher showed us it moving about like liquid. When the janitor turned up to get rid of the glass the teacher was distracted taking to him and a lad, who lets say wasn't exactly a full shilling several times to pick the mercury up with his bare hands. I don't know it was related but he was off school the next week and didn't come back for 2 months. The rumour around the school was that he had some kind of kidney problem??
DVC
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#15 Post by Dark Skies »

Nelly2014 wrote:Don't eat fish, full of mercury apparently.
Fish would be hard to prod down barrels though. :)
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Dark Skies

#16 Post by Dark Skies »

WelshShooter wrote:
1066 wrote:Surely these substances need to be used with respect and common sense, not demonised.

Trying to legislate to make things idiot proof has lead to oven cleaner that won't clean ovens, weed killer that won't kill weeds etc. Industrial strength products are often available but not available to ordinary folk who just can't be trusted.

Lead free solder is absolute rubbish to use, how long before "the government" decide that casting lead is "dangerous"
+1. The amount of times I've used a product which has been "weakened" over time by removing "dangerous" chemicals due to misuse has been frustrating. They try to make the product safer for dimwits whilst reducing the effectiveness of the actual product. Makes no sense...
This is why Nitro Mors, which used to be my go to stripper for getting paint off motorcycle parts, is now next to useless in my experience.

Paint used to bubble up and virtually fall off within a minute. I miss THAT product.
froggy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

#17 Post by froggy »

Mercury is harmless
wtf Really ?

Mirrors used to be made with mercury and the life expectency of the workers was about 10 years of activity.
The best & most beautiful guilding is using mercury. Because the vapors are so lethal, only 2 Cies in France have the licence to use this method.
Yes, mercury was widely used in dental amalgams but not anymore except on budget NHS, but eh ... we also used to make tooth past with radium... fancy trying that ?? I guess you know better .

Mercury's main problem is disposing of it safely. Break your thermometer and it will likely end up in a domestic bin that in turn, will be incinerated creating a deadly toxic emmission. So, if you cant trust the average street oik to dispose of it responsibly, it leaves little option but to control it.

Don't eat fish, full of mercury apparently.
Especially the cheap & nasty farmed stuff, budget salmon from Norway being the worst. Dont eat it !!
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#18 Post by WelshShooter »

Dark Skies wrote:
WelshShooter wrote:

This is why Nitro Mors, which used to be my go to stripper for getting paint off motorcycle parts, is now next to useless in my experience.

Paint used to bubble up and virtually fall off within a minute. I miss THAT product.
Are you me? Nitromors was exactly one of the products in mind. Used it to remove the finish from a stock and it did a terrible job.
Dark Skies

#19 Post by Dark Skies »

No but I could be if you need a stand in. :)

I had the same problem too re varnish on a stock.

There is a certain auction site where you can obtain what appears to be the same as the good old Nitro Mors type stripper called Starchem Paint Remover. I've used it and it is excellent. Might be 'trade only' but that covers a broad church.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#20 Post by Ovenpaa »

I had just under half a jam jar of the stuff in my bedroom wardrobe as a youngster, the bad thing is I have no idea what happened to it.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal