Scope time!

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Viper
Home club or Range: Pickering Rifle Club

Scope time!

#1 Post by Viper »

Hi all,

I feel a bit needy at the moment, sorry!

I got my first rifle last week, .223 Steyr Pro Varmint, and I put my old air rifle Simmons on so I could at least get some shots in at the range. After a few rounds I was hitting the Vbull at 100yards so I was happy with that. Main usage will be range up to 600 yards and varminting (rabbits/foxes) on home land.

Now I know I still have some level of competence I want to get a proper scope for it. I've done a lot of reading and most places tend to say spend the most you possible can on a scope. Technically I could buy the most expensive scope but that doesn't mean I would be any better off!

I'd love some guidance if possible please. Budget wise I'd probably set £1,000 as the absolute top end. Do I need to worry about FFP/SFP? I know I'd like a decent zoom range, 4-25 or 4-30 seem reasonable to me for what I'd use it for. I also know I'd like mildots and side parallax.

Help :(
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

Re: Scope time!

#2 Post by 20series »

But a Sightron S3 8-32x56 with MOS reticle and you'll not go far wrong.

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

The Sightron is a fine 'scope however they are not great in low light so might not perform well with a lamp. I shoot with a 4-16X for vermin and I would not worry unduly about FFP versus SFP.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Duey
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Offas Dyke, Pickering, North Cotes Butts and Grove small arms

#4 Post by Duey »

Look for a S/H Nightforce 5x22x56 or 8x32x56 will be all that you will need
Won't be the latest spec ( won't be zero stop) but well proven and bombproof
Should be £800-£1100 range
Other option is Leupold 8x25x56 again S/H, old style should be about £400-£600 mk4 type maybe
£1000 ish
Above options will have target turrets for easier dialling in and both useable up to 1000yds should you want

Best advise though is don't rush, try and get to look through as many makes as you can and see what suits your eyes

If your shooting at Pickering, I'm there from time to time, and I'll look out for a Ruger and say hi
Also there are most makes of scopes on the firing point so ask to have a look through what's on offer

Good luck

Duey
flamoudi
Home club or Range: CVPC Ashgill Scotland

#5 Post by flamoudi »

The list of scopes just keeps on growing. Too much to choose from.
I prefer the European and Japanese optics but many have some Chinese components or are assembled there. That in itself isn,t bad but some just are not robust enough and the turret adjustments fail.

The "target" scope that will give you good magnification and view at 600 but will be big and bulky for varminting. Especially with target turrets etc. I have a Sightron big Sky 111, its a big beast but i can see .223 holes at 200 easily. A good scope with good service back up.

I also have a Lightstream (SFP) 5-20x50 that is a good hybrid for target and field.

Have a look at the Ziess range too.
Duey
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Offas Dyke, Pickering, North Cotes Butts and Grove small arms

#6 Post by Duey »

scopes are often a compromise especially if you are after one rifle to do all things
An ideal hunting scope that's great in low light often won't have target type turrets for long range dialling in and also often have limited available elevation anyhow
A lot of good target type scopes will have great turrets a good to great amount of available elevation / windage to work with but may be slightly lacking in optimum low light quality
This is a very broad generalisation but basically sums up options and then there is the cost of said scopes

That's why I say take your time and try to figure out the best compromise for your shooting against what you'll be doing the most of
High end hunting scopes will often lack in available elevation but if that's what you want/need the most then you will have to consider an inclined rail 20,30 or 40 MOA, to mount it on to, to compensate for the times you want to go shooting out to 800/1000yds
Viper

#7 Post by Viper »

Duey wrote:Look for a S/H Nightforce 5x22x56 or 8x32x56 will be all that you will need
Won't be the latest spec ( won't be zero stop) but well proven and bombproof
Should be £800-£1100 range
Other option is Leupold 8x25x56 again S/H, old style should be about £400-£600 mk4 type maybe
£1000 ish
Above options will have target turrets for easier dialling in and both useable up to 1000yds should you want

Best advise though is don't rush, try and get to look through as many makes as you can and see what suits your eyes

If your shooting at Pickering, I'm there from time to time, and I'll look out for a Ruger and say hi
Also there are most makes of scopes on the firing point so ask to have a look through what's on offer

Good luck

Duey
Thanks for the suggestions. I had picked Leupold, Nightforce and Bushnel as some of the top brands to look at. Just trying to find the best places for 2nd hand scopes; I'm looking on GunStar/Trader, forums and RFDs currently.

I don't mind not having the most up to date equipment as long as at some point it WAS the best haha.

I'm at Pickering as often as I can be. Please do say hi if you're there. My name's Tom and I stand out because I'm younger than the average shooter there O:-)
Duey
Site Supporter 2021

#8 Post by Duey »

Ah yes I know who you are now I think
I offered you a go with my winmag next time I have it at the range

Duey
Viper

#9 Post by Viper »

Duey wrote:Ah yes I know who you are now I think
I offered you a go with my winmag next time I have it at the range

Duey