Club Records

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

Club Records

#1 Post by hitchphil »

Is it necessary for a HO approved club to record which club owned rifles (i.e. ID by serial number) a non FAC holding full member uses when attending a range?

or is it acceptable to simply record attendance, event or practice & paid range fee / used ammo?
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Re: Club Records

#2 Post by Alpha1 »

Your Club Secretary or one of your committee members should be able to answer that question for you.
Chapuis

#3 Post by Chapuis »

All the rules say is; https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... stol-clubs

5. The attendance register should be kept for all shooting members of the club although its principal use will be in relation to those members who hold firearm certificates. This is to comply with Lord Cullen’s recommendation that shooters should not have firearms on their certificates which are not used regularly. For this reason, it will be necessary to record in the register the description of the firearm(s) used as given in the member’s firearm certificate. All visiting shooters should be logged in the same way. In the case of competition shoots between clubs, the responsibility for recording the attendance of a team member will lie with the club that the shooter represents. In the case of open competitions, the organising club will record details of competitors. Clubs should retain their attendance records for a minimum of 6 years.

so I suppose that recording the firearms used by non FAC holding members isn't absolutely necessary but I believe that most clubs will do so, I know that our club does.
Kungfugerbil
Past Supporter

#4 Post by Kungfugerbil »

Chapuis wrote:I suppose that recording the firearms used by non FAC holding members isn't absolutely necessary but I believe that most clubs will do so, I know that our club does.
Ours does the same - each club rifle has an ID number and non-FAC holders have to indicate which one they use each session. It helps for beginners to get the same rifle each time if you have a number of examples, and it shows to the licensing bod come renewal time that you need each firearm.
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#5 Post by meles meles »

Ah, but if you collect rifles you don't need to shoot them ...
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
ratters

#6 Post by ratters »

In our club all users of a firearm have to sign the register. This has at the top the following
"by signing this register you agree that you will not remove any ammunition from the club unless allowed by your FAC"
This is to cover our backsides in case a club member who has no FAC leaves with a few rounds in his pocket.
I donbloaded the Home office link and it said that club members may not purchase ammo unless they have a FAC. How does that work if a non FAC holder buys a box of ammo to use in the club and leaves the remainder in the club until he/she comes back next time?
Knightsman

#7 Post by Knightsman »

Use on the range does not require a FAC and FAC holders do not need to record their use of club ammunition unless they take away unused rounds. I don't know if it's mentioned specifically in the Guidance but that is the recognised procedure.
Mezzer
Home club or Range: Morecambe Rifle & Pistol Club

#8 Post by Mezzer »

Chapuis wrote:All the rules say is; https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... stol-clubs

5. The attendance register should be kept for all shooting members of the club although its principal use will be in relation to those members who hold firearm certificates. This is to comply with Lord Cullen’s recommendation that shooters should not have firearms on their certificates which are not used regularly. For this reason, it will be necessary to record in the register the description of the firearm(s) used as given in the member’s firearm certificate. All visiting shooters should be logged in the same way. In the case of competition shoots between clubs, the responsibility for recording the attendance of a team member will lie with the club that the shooter represents. In the case of open competitions, the organising club will record details of competitors. Clubs should retain their attendance records for a minimum of 6 years.

so I suppose that recording the firearms used by non FAC holding members isn't absolutely necessary but I believe that most clubs will do so, I know that our club does.

If it isn't absolutely necessary, then why do we do it? In our club there are only a half-dozen rimfires available for non-members anyway and each is fairly distinctive in appearance in its own right. Surely there is enough paper-filling going on without generating any more.

Mezzer
Chapuis

#9 Post by Chapuis »

Knightsman wrote:Use on the range does not require a FAC and FAC holders do not need to record their use of club ammunition unless they take away unused rounds. I don't know if it's mentioned specifically in the Guidance but that is the recognised procedure.
On the contrary Knightsman all Home Office approved clubs are required to maintain a shooting record specifically to record the details previously mentioned.

Taking ammunition away from the club that has been purchased at the club by a FAC holder is another matter entirely and the transfer of this ammo needs to be recorded on the purchasers firearm certificate. A non FAC holder will not be able to take ammo away from the club normally (there is an exception to this rule but under normal circumstances it would be illegal to do so).

Mezzer I suppose one benefit of recording the use by a non FAC holder is that when that person perhaps applies for a FAC at a later date the club is able to show evidence that the applicant has shot regularly with the club during their probationary period and has received instruction in the use of various firearms.
Mezzer
Home club or Range: Morecambe Rifle & Pistol Club

#10 Post by Mezzer »

Chapuis wrote:
Knightsman wrote:Use on the range does not require a FAC and FAC holders do not need to record their use of club ammunition unless they take away unused rounds. I don't know if it's mentioned specifically in the Guidance but that is the recognised procedure.
On the contrary Knightsman all Home Office approved clubs are required to maintain a shooting record specifically to record the details previously mentioned.

Taking ammunition away from the club that has been purchased at the club by a FAC holder is another matter entirely and the transfer of this ammo needs to be recorded on the purchasers firearm certificate. A non FAC holder will not be able to take ammo away from the club normally (there is an exception to this rule but under normal circumstances it would be illegal to do so).

Mezzer I suppose one benefit of recording the use by a non FAC holder is that when that person perhaps applies for a FAC at a later date the club is able to show evidence that the applicant has shot regularly with the club during their probationary period and has received instruction in the use of various firearms.
Chapuis;

Our club probationers are issued with an attendance card which requires details of what they shoot and when. This is the probationer and the clubs record of shooting history leading to (hopefully), full membership of the club. If other clubs don't issue such a card then I can understand the need for recording these details.

Mezzer