Guest days.

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Chapuis

Re: Guest days.

#11 Post by Chapuis »

I suppose the other benefit of using cast other than cost is less wear on the barrel Dromia.

There was a time when if I spent all day on the range I would shoot perhaps 120 rounds through out the day not counting pistol rounds, but these days I tend to shoot only 50 or so if on the range all day. There again I do shoot at least twice a week but normally only 15 -20 centrefire rounds at a time.
I've been to some ranges (MOD ranges) as a guest of another club and its been like the re-enactment of Rorkes drift with barrels that you could cook on. Pity the poor guy who buys a bargain rifle off one of these club members when they decide that they want a change.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#12 Post by dromia »

When I go to the range I will have at least half a dozen different rifles or calibres I'm either testing, or working up loads, or testing boolit designs in.

It is the working up the loads, boolit testing and getting the rifle to shoot well that drives me, shooting at a target for score is just a big yawn to me, been there and done that.

I get a lot of my load development done at 100 and then when I get to the MoD ranges once a month I like to try them all at at least 300 yrds.

The more range time and rounds I get down the more data I get and therefore the more bench and pot development time I get when I'm at home.

I shoot so that I can cast and hand load. Once i get a rifle shooting well then I loose interest in it, usually. I do have my keepers though, which I have to work hard at maintaining to a reasonable number.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#13 Post by Alpha1 »

I quite enjoy playing with cast boolits but trying to sort the sights out for different distances I find frustrating. We may not use all the ammo but it's there if he wants it I'm just hoping he has a good day.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#14 Post by Alpha1 »

I took the Guy to the range on Saturday he has never fired any kind of firearm before. He loved it. But what he did comment on was the age of the shooters he is in his late thirties he said it looked like Dads Army was on the range and were did we keep the zimmer frames. Not sure if he will go again we will see.
Chuck

#15 Post by Chuck »

Ageism is a bad thing, especially in this sport - if the "oldies" all left where would that leave us? How many of these young hotshots and wizards can actually outshoot the "old boys"? Age is knowledge (usually).

At least the oldies can afford it (usually).
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
legs748
Home club or Range: Mattersey R&PC

#16 Post by legs748 »

Chuck wrote:Ageism is a bad thing, especially in this sport - if the "oldies" all left where would that leave us? How many of these young hotshots and wizards can actually outshoot the "old boys"? Age is knowledge (usually).

At least the oldies can afford it (usually).
I don't think it's ageism, the shooting demographic does lean towards the older gentleman. We need to be aware of this legacy pyramid, without new shooters coming in to the sport there will eventually be no sport. I don't think a lot of the old boys work hard enough to promote this. Age is knowledge, knowledge is power and power is often jealously guarded.

If I had a quid for every time I heard "back in the pistol days" I'd be shooting tenex!
It was working when i left it...........
Chuck

#17 Post by Chuck »

We need to be aware of this legacy pyramid, without new shooters coming in to the sport there will eventually be no sport
Absolutely right :good: :good:
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!