Courtesy of the U.S. Government

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa

Re: Courtesy of the U.S. Government

#21 Post by Ovenpaa »

The handle reminds me of a Sykes.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#22 Post by saddler »

ovenpaa wrote:The handle reminds me of a Sykes.
That'd be cause it is a Sykes - only the crossguard is non-standard - just a pity they chose the worst handle of the lot to adopt, due to cost, etc. The early knurled brass handles are a real work of art...cast ribbed ones = junk
There were quite a few variations of the Fairbairn Sykes made in France in the immediate WW2 years & for a decade or two after...

ANYWAY - Back to the topic in hand - M1 Carbines!!
PaulR wrote:Here's mine, very rare and I know of only 5 others in the country, I'm not sure how many made it into the UK before the importer here ran into problems getting them from the US. We have five of the six I know about in our club and 4 of which have been bought from people all over the UK with the remaining two coming from the original importer.

Lovely round to shoot and easy to homeload for....cheap reloading as well. The .30 Carbine round has been classified as being a pistol calibre by the NRA so it can be shot on most ranges classified for gallery rifle. Surprisingly accurate out to 300 yds, one of my mates who has one was knocking the targets down @ 300 yds in the Enfield Challenge with his.

All good fun.

Paul
GIZZIT!!!
I DO miss my M1 - sell me yours, sorry, where are my manners - I dont know if you are in a generous mood & wish to donate it free of charge covering P&P and RFD fees into the bargain??
...well, I can hope can't I!! (though I guess I have 2 hopes - none and Bob...)

A couple of people I shoot with have straight pull versions of the M1 Garand & the MP44/STG43 - but the M1 carbine is just so much nicer, plus as you say can be used on gallery ranges!

If you PM me I'll send you my address
Dave 101

#23 Post by Dave 101 »

Would you ? http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/100225134003000

Not a chance :lol:

Dave
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#24 Post by saddler »

Dave 101 wrote:Would you ? http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/100225134003000

Not a chance :lol:

Dave
NICE

Like a No.8 on steroids! Have admired this version from Armalon for quite a while now - just never had the funds to get anywhere near to one. Pity, BUT = too much £££ for me...sad to say
MrD

#25 Post by MrD »

Ah.... takes me back to my childhood

http://www.yourprops.com/movieprops/def ... Rifles.jpg

Spent many happy hours in the playground talking into a fountain pen...."Open Channel D....."
Save it for a mammal who cares!

http://www.cawdorrifleandgunclub.co.uk/
saddler

#26 Post by saddler »

MrD wrote:Ah.... takes me back to my childhood

http://www.yourprops.com/movieprops/def ... Rifles.jpg

Spent many happy hours in the playground talking into a fountain pen...."Open Channel D....."
I dunno if it's still on display, but the WW2 museum in St Mere Eglise used to have a Man From UNCLE P38, ala. bird-cage flash hider on display as being German issued!!
Oh, how we laughed....
PaulR

#27 Post by PaulR »

saddler wrote:GIZZIT!!!
I DO miss my M1 - sell me yours, sorry, where are my manners - I dont know if you are in a generous mood & wish to donate it free of charge covering P&P and RFD fees into the bargain??

A couple of people I shoot with have straight pull versions of the M1 Garand & the MP44/STG43 - but the M1 carbine is just so much nicer, plus as you say can be used on gallery ranges!

Saddler, thanks for the kind offer to take my Carbine off my hands for free. I'm afraid that on careful consideration, I'll have to decline your offer as someone else has agreed to let me pay them to take it off my hands......... :55: :55:

Paul
PaulR

"Try to fly in the middle of the air. The edges can be recognized by water, ground, rocks, and interstellar space. It is much easier to not hit anything in the middle of the air than it is anywhere near the edges."
saddler

#28 Post by saddler »

PaulR wrote:
saddler wrote:GIZZIT!!!

Saddler, thanks for the kind offer to take my Carbine off my hands for free. I'm afraid that on careful consideration, I'll have to decline your offer as someone else has agreed to let me pay them to take it off my hands......... :55: :55:

Paul
...never thought of that!! bum....