Steel jacketed .303 bullets are they ok to shoot.?

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

telshe49

Steel jacketed .303 bullets are they ok to shoot.?

#1 Post by telshe49 »

Hi to you all
This is my first topic. l have just found out from a fellow club member that S&B [sellier & bellot].303. 180 grs fmj l have just about to load are steel jacketed with a copper wash. Are these harmful to the barrel of my new No 4 mk2 UF 55 which has just came out of store, will they be ok to load and shoot. Or should l dump them and stick to SMK. Many thanks for any help.

Telshe.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Steel jacketed .303 bullets are they ok to shoot.?

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

Welcome to the forum Telshe.

I do shoot the copper washed S&B 180's in my .303's but it is fair to say they are only averagely accurate for me and I have had significantly better results with SMK's - loaded into the S&B cases. I very much doubt the S&B's will do any harm to your rifle but if in doubt use the SMK's. Have you considered cast boolit as an alternative?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
telshe49

#3 Post by telshe49 »

Hi Ovenpaa
Nice to hear from you. l found this sight through you at Graeme Clarkes AI sight. Yes l have done alot of reloading over the years and l have a 174gr gc mould which l use for down loaded loads. l am gradually working up to 100/200yd load. But l am wooried about wrecking a nice no4 mk111. l will carry on with the smks instead thanks for the advice.
Regards Telshe.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

Oops, did I mention this forum on the AI forum? :oops:

Are you an AI shooter as well?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
telshe49

#5 Post by telshe49 »

Hi Ovenpaa
l picked up my ai ae mk111 on good friday along with a friend who also bought one. l have since bought a S&B scope model 12.5 - 50 x 56. l have shot it in the ORA summer comp. l had a cheap scope which was a little bit wanting. Came 4th my 16 year old grandson shooting a 223 rem Speedmaster from Southern Guns with a Krieger 1/8 barrell, Jewell trigger and topped with Loopy scope 8.5 -20 x 40 came 2nd. l`m am getting some friends to gether and doing a 200 and 300 yd early August at Bisley to sight it in. l have been doing alot of load development with it, our next ORA shoot is a practice at 900/1000 yds just after at Stickledown. so lm really looking forward to that.

Regards Telshe