Martini action strength.

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

Sandgroper
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Martini action strength.

#11 Post by Sandgroper »

Sim G wrote:A bloke in our club insisted on having an old Martini rebarrelled in .50 Action Express because he had a load of ammo, cases and bullets left over from the handgun ban. It took him about 10 years to finally convince a gunsmith to do it for him. Couldn't get the cases to extract except by using a rod down the muzzle end. .50 AE is a rebated rim........ but he was a bit of a cock....
Only half in jest - the 460 S&W rim size is similar to the 303. So a 303 extractor should do the trick, but it might be a bit of a brute! :-P
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Dave 101

#12 Post by Dave 101 »

One of the tricks the Americans do is to convert the Greener GP shot gun to a rifle , I have a .22 Remington jet which is a rechambered BSA Model 12

The Rem jet is second from top and the Greener GP MkII 12 bore is the bottom one

Dave
Sandgroper
Site Supporter Since 2015

#13 Post by Sandgroper »

Dave,
That's why I was interested in the action strength. I had heard about the various conversions and was curious as to how strong the Martini was. I can only find one reference to it being tested to 60000psi. Most of the top end conversions are for ammunition at about 40 -45000 CUP (I know I've mixed units in this post). This more than enough for what I want, but it's nice to know how much breathing space you have! :D

Realistically, it appears that Martini action is more than strong enough and the limiting factor is most likely the brass. A lot of the Canadian forums recommend the martini for really hot loads for the various 303 wildcats and if I could afford it my choice would be a 303/25 Epps, just to squeeze an extra couple of hundred fps and to be different. :lol:

In the end this is a long term project dependant on funds :( and who knows I might go the other way and neck up - the 35 Territorian sounds nice.

BTW That's a very nice collection you have there. :good:
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.