bsa smle

Anything shooting related for sale, the management cannot accept any responsibility for the saleability of items in this section so take care please.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All items for sale must have a fixed price please. No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed
No external sale links.
the running man
Home club or Range: Bdrpc ebrpc

bsa smle

#1 Post by the running man »

[/attachment]
DSC_0012.JPG
DSC_0011.JPG
DSC_0010.JPG
time for more of a clear out, selling my bsa smle with side mounted aperture sight, lacquered stock, and an action which is the smoothest of any rifle ive ever used.... shoots well and im thinking it was made between the wars...Bristol £700
When someone says "it's not about the money" you know what? it probably is all about money!
the running man

Re: bsa smle

#2 Post by the running man »

DSC_0019.JPG
DSC_0014.JPG
DSC_0018.JPG
When someone says "it's not about the money" you know what? it probably is all about money!
the running man

#3 Post by the running man »

any???? Offers considered...
falco67
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by falco67 »

Is that H Burton Wilson on the stock? If so it was made between 1907 and 1922 as that is when he was working as an accuriser? at Bisley. There are reports that he worked at Bisley until 1930 but the NRA Museum told me 1922.

E-mail from the NRA
Thank you for your enquiry re your S.M.L.E. with the name “H. Burton-Wilson” stamped on the stock.

H. Burton-Wilson, Armourer, was operating on Bisley Camp and Brookwood, Surrey, from 1910 to at least 1922, being armourer to a number of rifle associations and clubs on Bisley Camp, but not to the NRA.

Similar to G E Fulton and Son, specialities were target rifles and barrels, but also supplied ammunition and accessories for military and sporting purposes.
B.S.A. made SMLE’s in both military and civilian models, so either could have had the Burton-Wilson treatment to make them into first class target rifles.

I am not aware of any surviving company records, so I suspect that tracing your rifle, by its serial number, is almost impossible. You could try B.S.A., but I understand that they lost a lot of their records in the blitz, so they may not be able to help.

I hope the foregoing is of interest.

Best wishes.

Yours sincerely,

N.E.C. (Ted) Molyneux
Hon. Curator
NRA Museum

I have one that is fitted with a set of sights dating from 1911 and I must agree about the smoothness of the action.

regards

Geoff
the running man

#5 Post by the running man »

Many thanks for that...very interesting..good bit of covenance
strangesam
Home club or Range: Invicta Bristol, Frome and District PC

#6 Post by strangesam »

I'm interested but it will be 6 months before I can put in for a variation (only just joining a fullbore club)

Also Bristol.
the running man

#7 Post by the running man »

Why not pm me then!
the running man

#8 Post by the running man »

Still up for sale... bumpsign
Hunter87

#9 Post by Hunter87 »

When you say it shoots great......
the running man

#10 Post by the running man »

Yes the action and trigger are really smooth...I've only put downloads through it but they are spot on...