Savage 23D - 22 Hornet.

Anything shooting related for sale, the management cannot accept any responsibility for the saleability of items in this section so take care please.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All items for sale must have a fixed price please. No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed
No external sale links.
Sandgroper
Site Supporter Since 2015

Savage 23D - 22 Hornet.

#1 Post by Sandgroper »

Free to a go home (i.e. for RFD fees only) is my Savage 23D in 22 Hornet.

The rifle is fair condition and is at least 75 years old but I honestly don't know how much life is left in the barrel. Additionally, a deep clean with C2R has uncovered what looks like pitting in the barrel but it still shot well the last time I shot it at Cawdor which was a few months ago. The magazine (4 rounds) can be a bit temperamental - I think I've sorted it but could it probably do with some more tinkering - generally I have two in the mag and one in the chamber. It's not threaded but has a threaded adapter fitted (1/2 UNF) which has proved to be solid and has remained in situ since I've owed it and worked well with a T8 reflex moderator. I have plenty of once fired brass that will accompany the rifle and about 136 rounds of expanding ammunition that can be sent separately at cost.
S23Db.jpg
S23Dd.jpg
S23Dc.jpg
Reason - With my 222, I really don't need it any more and I'm looking to free up a slot.
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Ovenpaa

Re: Savage 23D - 22 Hornet.

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

Wow, that would look nice next to my Savage Model 5
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Sandgroper

#3 Post by Sandgroper »

It's yours!
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Ovenpaa

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

shakeshout
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
shotgun sam

#5 Post by shotgun sam »

I am glad it is going to a good home
mossberg 500
meteor mk2
smk 19 (0.22)
ruger 12/22 stainless synthetic 22lr
cz 452 style 16 inch 22lr
tikka t3 lite stainless 223
308 howa 1500 varmint
BSA Lightning XL (0.22)
Lanber Over and Under
Baikal mp153
AYA Cosmos 410
1917 BSA SMLE 303
Ovenpaa

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

I am truly excited about this, I have always fancied a 22 Hornet plus it is of the same era as my Savage Model 5 so what is there not to like :p
/d

Shed Journal
Ovenpaa

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

All stripped and cleaned and ready to go. I had expected some period Leupold bases to arrive today however it did not happen so I have fitted some open sights to enable me to have a plink. Hopefully I can pick some factory ammunition up and see how it performs.

To say I am chuffed is an understatement, the only problem is it looks like a little Rimfire and I keep forgetting it is a centre fire rifle.

History wise I spotted a broad arrow in a box on the right hand side just in front of the ejection port which would suggest it hit our shores around 1941 as part of the 'Send a gun To defend a British home' push initiated 1940ish (If anyone knows anything on this I would be interested)
23D Metal.jpg
23D wood.jpg
SendaGun.jpg
/d

Shed Journal