Marlin 1892

Anything shooting related for sale, the management cannot accept any responsibility for the saleability of items in this section so take care please.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All items for sale must have a fixed price please. No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed
No external sale links.
Sim G
Past Supporter

Marlin 1892

#1 Post by Sim G »

So the cull continues.

Here is a Marlin 1892, in .22LR. The serial number gives a manufacture date of 1892, so a first year production. Sports a 24" round barrel and a steel crescent stock. An accurate little rifle, but, only use standard velocity ammo. High velocity stuff will shoot it to death in short order.

This rifle has seen a life! It's the only way to describe it. In 123 years, goodness knows how much ammo it's had through it. Finish? It's like a brown patchy patina, that has thumb prints, animal blood, dings, knocks and scars in it. The barrel has been screw cut, but I doubt very much if this was done at the factory as Marlin didn't start screw cutting for the Maxim silencer till 1908 and this one was made 16 years earlier. I don't have a clue what the thread it, but, it has some sort of thread protector that is not unattractive.

The bore is in super condition.... well, it has been sleeved after all! When? Haven't a clue, but a gunsmith mate reckons sleeving rimfires stopped being profitable in the 50's and you probably couldn't get one done today as the skill and the machinery is long since gone.

Stock wise, it's not too bad. Actually, it's probably off a Winchester judging from the shape and the steel but plate. The fore end has had some repair, but by whom or where..... yep, you guessed it, who would know?

I have replaced the magazine spring and the extractor.

The rifle will, when rested on your elbows, tear out the center of a PL20 pistol target at 20 yards. It feeds, fires, extracts and ejects well. It has a fondness for CCI Quiet.

What I have here is not just a rifle, but a bit of history. Who knows where it's been, or who has owned it. It's going because I have a slightly different 1892 and that .38-40 carbine is going to need paying for!!

So for the paltry price of £375, put a real "cowboy rifle" in your cabinet....

In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: Marlin 1892

#2 Post by Sim G »

Had some interest in this but nothing firm, so on the basis of that, a wee bump for a very usable classic.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

hobbesy

#3 Post by hobbesy »

Did this sell?
S&W M&P 15-22
Stoeger Sec 1
Adler a110 Sec 1
Winchester 94 .357,
Marlin 45-70
Savage 10 FP-SR .223
AI AE .308
.357 Westlake Alpha

Have slots open for.....
.22 LB pistol
.22LR rifle
Sixshot6
Home club or Range: Mattersey

#4 Post by Sixshot6 »

Whats the cull supposed to be funding again Sim? My dad funded the Taurus 22 and an anvil conversion out the sale of the Ruger Super Redhawk. Forgot to add Sim, we're close to a mount for the Taurus. TJ Mcavoys had some but sold out (he said he'd get some more but that remains to be seen) and the other option is Alan Westlake appears to want to build some and sell them in 2-3 months time (we had the talk about it with him). If I need to ask anything else about the Taurus 22, am I ok asking you?
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#5 Post by HALODIN »

Try here, I bought one of the unimounts from them recently. Failing that Valmont Firearms will make you one, but they're not cheap.

http://shootingsuppliesltd.co.uk/long-barrel-pistols
Sixshot6 wrote:we're close to a mount for the Taurus.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#6 Post by Sim G »

The Marlin in this thread might be sold.....

Yeah, I know. A bloke in the club said he wanted it but hasn't been forthcoming since.

As for the Taurus, yep, ask away. That said, there's a little project I'm up to with saddler purely for the rimfire Taurus. Details will follow, eventually.

greenshoots

#7 Post by greenshoots »

thats is a very nice rifle if i was not winding back my shooting for the next couple of years i would have had that

greenshoots
Green by Design
Sixshot6

#8 Post by Sixshot6 »

Sim G wrote:The Marlin in this thread might be sold.....

Yeah, I know. A bloke in the club said he wanted it but hasn't been forthcoming since.

As for the Taurus, yep, ask away. That said, there's a little project I'm up to with saddler purely for the rimfire Taurus. Details will follow, eventually.
Ok Sim, which of the Hogue grips do you recommend? My dad seems to be edging to some stipled ones, any red dots you can recommend also?

Also slightly off topic but still advice I request, I was talking to a uk RFD about a self-ejecting AR they are having made in by a US based company (I have an idea who it is but can't quite say as the official answer was no comment but it was some deductive reasoning that made me decide who it was) and i got thinking. You had a colt AR before 1988, which is better, Government profile or HBAR?

But first and foremost, what grips and red dot?
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#9 Post by saddler »

HBAR is a better barel profile for an AR
The Government Profile was to allow attachment of an M203 40mm Grenade Launcher
Sixshot6

#10 Post by Sixshot6 »

saddler wrote:HBAR is a better barel profile for an AR
The Government Profile was to allow attachment of an M203 40mm Grenade Launcher
Just as I thought, to be fair, it would be crazy not to offer that option. I'm game for it as the idea of being able to have better scope mounting options is tempting.