Fox hunting: a reasoned debate...

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
shotgun sam

Re: Fox hunting: a reasoned debate...

#21 Post by shotgun sam »

The ban on hunting foxes with hounds means more of them for us to shoot every cloud has a silver lining. Not that I had a problem with hunting with hounds each to their own.
I believe that there are now more foxes killed every year than pre ban and shooting combined.
The farms I shoot on want all foxes no matter what age shot on sight I will assume that a good number of farmers in the old fox hunting areas also want this done as well.
mossberg 500
meteor mk2
smk 19 (0.22)
ruger 12/22 stainless synthetic 22lr
cz 452 style 16 inch 22lr
tikka t3 lite stainless 223
308 howa 1500 varmint
BSA Lightning XL (0.22)
Lanber Over and Under
Baikal mp153
AYA Cosmos 410
1917 BSA SMLE 303
Oldskool
Home club or Range: Swlpc

#22 Post by Oldskool »

Killing any animal should never be done lightly IMO . But ... To derive "pleasure " from it seems wrong to me . That said if an animal is a pest then I see no reason why it shouldn't be culled .

In fairness to farmers foxes are a right pest . My mate who has an allotment has had 42 birds taken in 2 years .

I'm by no means an anti but chasing an animal , then tearing it apart with dogs is not my idea of a fun time . Happy to shoot em tho , where required .
Mr_Logic

#23 Post by Mr_Logic »

But they generally aren't ripped apart, usually pretty quick. Live and let live! Can't really try hate people for trying to stop shooting if we try to stop their activity.
Oldskool

#24 Post by Oldskool »

Mr_Logic wrote:But they generally aren't ripped apart, usually pretty quick. Live and let live! Can't really try hate people for trying to stop shooting if we try to stop their activity.
Yeah it's difficult to know what the real situation is in this as both sides are so ...het up about it . If they only catch the fox 1/7 times seems pretty pointless really from a pest control POV ?
Mr_Logic

#25 Post by Mr_Logic »

It's not really about the killing afaik
Oldskool

#26 Post by Oldskool »

Mr_Logic wrote:It's not really about the killing afaik
If the pest control argument doesn't stack up the Not sure how it can be justified then ? If it's actually about having a jolly good gallop over the fields then fine crack on , live a good gallop myself .

Don't get me wrong I'm not that bothered about foxes .... Just don't like nonsense being spouted !
Mr_Logic

#27 Post by Mr_Logic »

It can be justified because people want to do it; sure there is pest control involved but the riding and time in the countryside are the main things, so I'm told.

Is the killing the main thing for you with a gun? It's not for me. Time in the open, the peace and quiet, marksmanship etc mean far more. Death of an animal is just a by-product.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#28 Post by Blackstuff »

Triffid wrote:
Sod the foxes. Anyone for a debate on the Badger cull?

Triffid
http://eveningharold.com/2014/10/21/bad ... -of-ebola/
DVC
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#29 Post by meles meles »

Surely you oomans can't oppose a cull of your numbers to stop you spreading 'orrible infections...
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#30 Post by dromia »

If you had wider vision you would see that across the world with disease, war, indifference, greed and poverty all bringing premature death to millions we have an ongoing cull in place.

Now if you badgers would do something similar I could get some indigenous badger fat to compare with the stuff I ordered from the Ukraine,

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/