Bora 99 Ramble/Review/Info

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

Primer

Re: Bora 99 Ramble/Review/Info

#91 Post by Primer »

Rob

All my mag springs in the 10rd mags look like the round ones but all seemed to work ok on Thursday. Steve did say the springs seemed to have changed as he has found the latest ones he's been cutting down are the round ones as when I got mine a couple of weeks ago he gave me a piece of cutoff so I knew how much to take off my springs and that piece was like the square coated type in your picture, so looks like you have one of each, will be interesting to see if they both perform the same.
When people ask stupid questions, I feel obligated to give sarcastic answers
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#92 Post by Blackstuff »

Can't see those pictures for some reason (tried IE, Safari and Chrome)?

But yes my mags are also tighter with the upper in place so when you're filing the lower and testing them without the upper attached, always go a bit further with the filing! To be honest i still pull my mags out when shooting just to be sure, it slows the change down by <0.5 second but its better to be sure there's not going to be a mag in the way when you bring the next one up!

I've got another magazine problem now which cost me at least 2nd place in a comp at the weekend as one of my magazines has started to double feed **** Its only 1 magazine out of 7 so no doubt it's just thanks to that legendary Turkish QC. If any former pistol shooters who know a way to cure this i'd be most grateful :good: I assume the feed lips have opened up a bit so hopefully closing them a fraction will stop this but i've not had a chance to compare it to the other mags yet
DVC
38Super
Home club or Range: FDPC

#93 Post by 38Super »

Blackstuff wrote:Can't see those pictures for some reason (tried IE, Safari and Chrome)?

Does that help with the pictures?
Blackstuff wrote:I've got another magazine problem now which cost me at least 2nd place in a comp at the weekend as one of my magazines has started to double feed **** Its only 1 magazine out of 7 so no doubt it's just thanks to that legendary Turkish QC. If any former pistol shooters who know a way to cure this i'd be most grateful :good: I assume the feed lips have opened up a bit so hopefully closing them a fraction will stop this but i've not had a chance to compare it to the other mags yet
When I was fiddling with my mags I did find that the feed lips were surprisingly easy to bend. I would look at the angle of the follower too. Are you actually getting two rounds leaving the mag at once? Does it do the same thing with 3" shells in it?
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#94 Post by Blackstuff »

Nope pics are still just a white square with a red X on them :bad:

I didn't see the malfunction as it occurred (i was behind the gun after all) but when i looked to see what ther problem was there were two unfired cartridges out of the mag, between the mag and the top of the receiver so it looked like 2 had come out at the same time.

I've been trying to find something similar reported on the Saiga12 forum but the nearest thing there has been a mag follower tilting and getting stuck, then when its banged loose it jumps forcing 2 cartridges out, however that wasn't what happened with mine as it was working before the double feed.

Don't really have any call to use 3" cartridges, in fact the only time i have (SG buckshot) the gun jammed 3 times in a single mag but that seemed to be because the wrong gas piston was in at the time (the gun seemed over gassed and the action was moving very violently).

Still haven't got my arse in gear and had the magazine apart to see if theres anything obvious (bent spring/damaged follower/debris in the mag) as i've had a hectic week so far, but i'll hopefully be able to have a look tonight, if not tomorrow
DVC
38Super

#95 Post by 38Super »

Blackstuff wrote:Nope pics are still just a white square with a red X on them :bad:
Try this:-

I'm going down to Shield this afternoon for the first proper play with my Bora. fingerscrossed
I'll see if anything similar happens.

Rob
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#96 Post by Blackstuff »

Ah thats better :good: All the springs in my mags are the same as the top square one
DVC
38Super

#97 Post by 38Super »

I'm told that the square springs are the older ones. Newer mags come with the rounded type.
IMO the round type are thicker and stronger.
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#98 Post by Blackstuff »

Well took the magazine apart and as per usual it was dumbass heres fault it was malfunctioning as i put the spring in the wrong way :cool2: Below shows both orientations, top is right, bottom is wrong (pretty obvious when you look at them :roll: );

You can tell by the followers too (left wrong, right correct):

DVC
Odd Job

#99 Post by Odd Job »

Great thread, very useful, especially the posts of Blackstuff :)

Now can someone help a noob remove the bolt from the BR99 without splitting the receiver from the butt stock?
I have tried to follow the instructions on page one of this thread, but it doesn't work for me...
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
Ovenpaa

#100 Post by Ovenpaa »

Remove the front hand guard, remove the barrel, pull the bolt back slightly and lower the plastic feed ramp at the front, I find it as easy to push it down with my finger as use the lever. Now pull the bolt back until the bolt handle can be released and the bolt, carrier and spring can then be slid forwards and out of the rifle.

Beware when reversing the procedure, if you let the bolt fly forward without the barrel fitted it will smash into the feed ramp and damage it.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal