Cast boolits in the 7.62x39

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Cast boolits in the 7.62x39

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

I am about to assemble some cast boolit loads for my 7.62x39. I have acquired some 125grain cast boolits I think they are .311 but I will have to check.
I know my bore is .310. I have read the C.E Harris cast load info in the Library section. He suggests that you drill the flash holes to 0.099" just wondered if any body else had tried this. Is it necessary to do this even for say 30 rounds just to explore the concept.
I am planning to load thirty rounds using Lapau cases. Standard large rifle primers because that's all I have in at the moment. I am going to stoke them up with 4grains of bullseye. I am hoping to shoot them of a bench using a bipod at 25yards. I will probably have to put the first five through a chronograph to see how fast they are traveling and then may be see if I can get them on to a target.

Drilling the primer hole out is not a problem I can just chuck them in a lathe at work my question is do I need to do this for my 30 rounds starter Lapau cases are not cheap.

Any advice or load data would be appreciated.
meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

Re: Cast boolits in the 7.62x39

#2 Post by meles meles »

Intriguing, ooman.

Are you doing this to save pennies, or to improve accuracy ? We shoot milsurp 7.62x39 through our AIA Enfield carbine and achieve reasonable accuracy at around 28 p per bang. We can't imagine pawloading would be cheaper than that, but we can see it might produce considerably greater accuracy.
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Alpha1

#3 Post by Alpha1 »

I am developing the load so I can shoot the rifle indoors on a 25yard range. I am interested in seeing how accurate the gun shoots with a bullet tailor made to fit the rifle.

I would also like to develop a accurate load to go out to 100yards.

Its about re loading because I enjoy that as much as the shooting the cost is not a issue. I do not like using factory ammo in any of my guns I will all ways reload my ammo if I can. I try not to think about the cost I spend a fortune on re loading components and shooting stuff. If I added it all up I would probably have a heart attack. Best not to go there methinks.
Sandgroper
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Sandgroper »

I didn't enlarge the flash holes when I was using titegroup for subsonic ammo in 223 and 308 - worked fine for me.
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
DanTheMan
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Weybridge

#5 Post by DanTheMan »

Myself and a few mates download 7.62x39 for our indoor range, I mexican match with steel cases and the other guys just load up Lapua cases, none of us mess with flash holes etc, I use 6gr Red Dot and a .303 cast bullet, it's a similair load / case volume to .44 special. As for accuracy, it groups the same as my Winchester.
meles meles

#6 Post by meles meles »

That looks easy enough for even a badger to do...
Badger
Badger Korporashun

kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#7 Post by kennyc »

one of the guys I shoot with has reloaded 7.62x39 with home casts if I remember correctly he claims a cost of 9p a round :o
meles meles

#8 Post by meles meles »

Can the used military surplus cases be reloaded - they are steel, not brass ?
Badger
Badger Korporashun

Alpha1

#9 Post by Alpha1 »

Can the used military surplus cases be reloaded - they are steel, not brass ?
No they are Berdan primed no good for reloading. That's why I don't buy them.
Alpha1

#10 Post by Alpha1 »

one of the guys I shoot with has reloaded 7.62x39 with home casts if I remember correctly he claims a cost of 9p a round :o
Any idea what sort of boolit he is using what weight and what powder charge etc.