44 mag reloading

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
6.5shooter

44 mag reloading

#1 Post by 6.5shooter »

Hi folks,
I think I am going to get myself a marlin 20" lever rifle in 44 mag to play with for steel playes etc and gallery rifle.
Im after some advice on reloading for it.
What is the best weight of bullet for this type of shooting? Is the norm 240 grains just like the revolver or would you tend to go heavier?
I have viht n320 n340 n350 n105 and n110 at hand to load with.
Also bullet diameter, I notice on tim hannams website that there are two different bullet diameters for the 44 cal, which does this rifle like best? I think they are listed as .427 and .430.
I would also like to experiment with higher power loads with n110 or 2400 powder but im not sure how accuracy will hold up once I start pushing the lead bullets this fast?
Maybe copper jacketed bullets would be better for full house loads?

Help appreciated

Garry
dodgyrog
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

Re: 44 mag reloading

#2 Post by dodgyrog »

.427 is usually for 44-40 and .430 is for the 44 special and magnum.
I can make and sell you some boolits - pm me if you are interested.
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
forward observer

#3 Post by forward observer »

4.9gns american select,you can benchrest with that load.....
Sim G
Past Supporter

#4 Post by Sim G »

Gallery rifle? 240gn LRNFP and 6.0 gns of Unique.

Out to 300, jacketed 200gn bullet and 28.0gns of H110!! (But only if you have all of your own teeth, in good condition!)
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#5 Post by Mike357 »

GR - either 240gn RNFP or some of Rog's 200gn RNFP sitting in front of 6gns of Vectan AS. Unless you are only going to reloading in very small numbers, I'd move onto cheaper powder. Vectan AS and GM3 are about £20 per tub while Unique, Ramshot etc are just over £30

I'd like to try some full power loads with GM3!
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#6 Post by dromia »

Sim G wrote:
Out to 300, jacketed 200gn bullet

Oh evil purveyor of apostasy, wash out thy dissident mouth and purge your black heretic soul lest you lead others astray! :twisted:

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#7 Post by dromia »

Oh by the way Simon I forgot to say.

:55: :55: :55: :55:

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
ronboy

#8 Post by ronboy »

Hi I've been shooting GR for about ten years or more. There is a lot to learn about tuning a gun for comps, I reckon about three days work for a new gun. Then tweeking the ammo, why shoot full power ammo at ten metres. ? One needs the sights on target, not pointing at the sky, when rapid fire.
I am on my second .44 mag and am working on a good load, it's different to my first rifle. It's very important to get the correct scope for the job. I've settled on a Hawke 30 eclipse. I've not taken part in comps for the last couple of years due to a serious health problem but any help is free. Ronboy
dodgyrog
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#9 Post by dodgyrog »

dromia wrote:
Sim G wrote:
Out to 300, jacketed 200gn bullet

Oh evil purveyor of apostasy, wash out thy dissident mouth and purge your black heretic soul lest you lead others astray! :twisted:
What he said. Jacketed bullets! Whatever next. wtfwtf
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
6.5shooter

#10 Post by 6.5shooter »

Thanks fellas for all the response!
What sort of accuracy should I expect from my handloads?
I didnt think one of these rifles would be that accurate out to 2-300 yards?
So do you mean that lead bullets are good enough for full power loads or do I need jacketed?
I will mostly be shooting steel plates informally and doing a little gallery rifle so I like the idea of the highe powered loads fo informal stuff to get those steel plates ringing as loud as I can!