which reloading scales?

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Rich83

which reloading scales?

#1 Post by Rich83 »

Hi guys so far i've had bad a experience of beam scales. I purchased a set of hornady beam scales and found the beam moved back and forward on the base this gave variations of 2-4Gr this happened on two sets and i have got my money back. so i'm now not sure which scales to replace them with and im tempted to get a set of electronic scales but have heard bad thinks about these as well. what are peoples opinions and what scales do you use?

thanks Rich
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: which reloading scales?

#2 Post by dromia »

The old Hornady beam scales are excellent, they didn't do a beam scale for a while just the digital then they brought this new one which I assume is the one you had. If you can get an old Hornady then they are very good.

Rcbs make fine beam scales and are readily available new and second hand, Redding do a good scale too.

Take your pick.

A set of check weights is essential for a beam scale, personally I wouldn't go all digital. For one thing they don't work with the Target Master. :grin:

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Triffid
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Wey Valley

#3 Post by Triffid »

I use an RCBS 505 beam scale (mainly on the Targetmaster), Lee Safety Powder scales (for powder) and an MTM electronic scales (mainly for bullets).

I've done LOTS of back-to-back measurement to find which is 'best' and to check the powder variation from my thrower. They all read slightly differently: the Lee reads consistantly 0.1gr lower than the RCBS. The MTM was within 0.2gr, but much less responsive . . . it tended to read 4 or 5 consecutive readings the same when the beam scales whould show a 0.1 or 0.2 gr variation between charges thrown from my powder measure.

As with lots of things, the monkey-behind-the-wheel makes more difference than the tool in my opinion. If you 'get-on' with something and learn how to operate it best, then you'll get the most consistant results from it.

I like the ease of using the MTM electronic scales, but generally won't use them for powder charges because of the lack of responsivness. But they are great for QC checks on cast bullets.

I find the RCBS scales fiddly to change the weight, but once set at a given wieght, they are very consistant. I'd like to get them tuned if I can find someone to do that in the UK.

The Lee scales are my main workhorse; it's easy to change the weight very slightly and I can read the vernier scale easily. I've never had any problem with them being unsettled or wavering as they're magnetically damped.

Triffid
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#4 Post by Alpha1 »

All my beam scales are the old Hornady ones fantastic scales. I bought one set with my Target master they were tuned and tricked out to use with a camera and my lap top. Fantastic piece of kit. I don't own a electronic scale never needed one.
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#5 Post by phaedra1106 »

Buy yourself a set of RCBS 5-0-5 and be done with it, you'll never have to buy another set ever again (unless you break them!) :good:
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#6 Post by FredB »

I won my RCBS 505 scales in a competition at Mattersey around 1980-ish. Never needed or wanted anything else.
Fred
Dangermouse

#7 Post by Dangermouse »

I would have thought that your decision will depend a lot on what level of accuracy and consistency you are looking for. What may do a pistol cartridge shooter loading thousands a session may not be suitable for a F class or bench rest shooter looking to eliminate every variable in the loading process. Eliminate may not be the correct word but consistency is the name of the game.

personaly I have gone from a scale that measured to .2 to one that measures to .02.

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
Rich83

#8 Post by Rich83 »

I'm just looking for what options are out there for under £150. After my experience so far with beam scales I was looking at the lyman acutouch 2000 but might give the 505s a look after reading peoples comments
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#9 Post by HALODIN »

The 505's are OK, but personally I think they need tinkering with after you buy a set. I find the pin that holds the balance beam binds on the inside of the scale occasionally, if you file each end down to a point, it isn't noticeable. I also think they're a bit light, so when I get round to it, I plan to put some plaster of paris into the base to weight it down a bit. Only minor gripes really, but thought I'd share my experience.
Laurie

#10 Post by Laurie »

I find the RCBS scales fiddly to change the weight, but once set at a given wieght, they are very consistant. I'd like to get them tuned if I can find someone to do that in the UK. [Triffid]
Allan Edwards (The TargetMaster trickler man and '1066' on this forum) does that, and probably knows more about handloading scale accuracy / reliability than anybody in the UK.

Dromia's point about acquiring and using check weights is 100% correct too. And ... use them to check the scale balances at whatever charge weight you're actually using and have set the scale too.