Westlake Armsor

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

Primer

Re: Westlake Armsor

#11 Post by Primer »

Didn't realise they could look so good, I have a slot on my ticket for 1 but being put off as my club owner hates them and won't let you prime the cylinder until you are on the line ready to shoot so meaning no good for quick cylinder changes as I would have to prime each one just as it's about to go in the gun.
When people ask stupid questions, I feel obligated to give sarcastic answers
BamBam

#12 Post by BamBam »

Looks pretty good, what does it shoot like?
Individual
Past Supporter

#13 Post by Individual »

BamBam wrote:Looks pretty good, what does it shoot like?
Once loaded it shoots like a proper revolver.

Considering it's got fairly crude fixed sights and a 4" barrel it shoots Ok. It's certainly no target pistol, and I'm not a good pistol shot, I can maybe put 6 shots into a 4" circle at 25 yards? The single action trigger pull is pretty good out of the box. Double action is a bit heavy. But they can be worked on to improve it.

I find them much easier to run that black powder pistol, takes me less than 2 minutes to load a cylinder........and about 4 seconds to unload it.
ovy

#14 Post by ovy »

Where are people getting their wadcutters from? I had some off Alan when I got my revolver but getting short now. Also has anyone had trouble with primers in theirs? Had some I bought and they kept fouling between the cylinder and the back of the revolver as they would not sit flat.
Paul. ;)
IsleShoot

#15 Post by IsleShoot »

I've had both the standard and the match models. Both have the similar issues with the 209 primers getting loose and jamming the cylinder and regular hang fires/light strikes.
I would like to be clear though, Alan has always been helpful when I've asked him for advice or returned the gun for adjustment.

I use the Match and the 4 spare cylinders I have for it in service pistol matches alongside the underlever guys, it's enormous fun and when I get through the CoF without any issues it's no different than a cartridge fed revolver. If I can iron out the primer issue I reckon I can use it for practical stages?

I'd be interested to hear about people's experiences of the new Alpha model.
Individual
Past Supporter

#16 Post by Individual »

Have used a few different bullets, some from Andy Allwoods, some H&N plastic coated jobs and some direct from Alan Westlake. Even tried loading a bog standard 158 Truncated cone..which works OK at 10-15 yards, fine for plinking and action shoots.

The wadcutters Alan supplies are softer lead, easier to load, and give better results at 25 yards than the others. He will sell you some more if you ask..

Have found that some makes of primer do cause hang ups in some guns. Have recently noticed that the primer pockets can carbon up surprisingly quickly and make the issue worse, so have had to get medeival on them with suitable drill bit. What Primers are you you using? Cheddite 209s have a more pronounced dome than CCI so its worth the trying different makes to see what works best.
techguy

#17 Post by techguy »

I use cheddite 209's in mine. No issues, but they are a bit more pokey than the CCI primers..
the running man

#18 Post by the running man »

This thread is extremely useful chaps I thank you all,I'm just about to buy one, any more snaps of the polished one? And what powder are you all using in one,and how much is a spare cyl working out at?
Always judge a person by how they treat someone that is of no use to them......
techguy

#19 Post by techguy »

I use blue dot in mine. Couldn't find Herco :(
the running man

#20 Post by the running man »

I got herco from the last nitro muzzle loader I had!
Always judge a person by how they treat someone that is of no use to them......